Description Description Description Description Description Description
Description

Tuesday 4 June 2013

In Their Shoes; New Balance Campaign


New Balance's great new 574 campaign is highlighting some fascinating creative ladies to showcase some great new women's product.
Each subject gets to choose their own shoe and feature in videos in the campaign which you can check out more of here.
I thought it would be good to hear more from some of the subjects in the series as part of my 'In Their Shoes' interview series, so a big thanks to stylist Jade Leung and Photographer Michelle Tran for taking the time to talk about everything from their beloved 574's to styling, trends and bad karaoke.


IDYSM: Hey Jade, tell us a bit about yourself.
Jade:  I am a freelance fashion stylist by trade but essentially a consumer! Of every excess. 

IDYSM: How did you came to be involved with the NB 574 Lifestyle campaign?
Jade: I think I have the lovely people at  ACCLAIM MAGAZINE to thank for this opportunity.  Michelle and I work on shoots quite regularly for the publication, and I'd been styling NB in editorials for quite a while now.  So it was a good fit...

IDYSM: You are a lady of style and work internationally – how and why are NB so universally appealing around the world?
Jade:  New Balance is internationally appealing because aside from offering a strong focus on colour, materials and staying true to it's core purpose on simplicity and function, NB has done really well to stay relevant with it's collaborations with notable designers and creatives (I.E Bodega, Junya Watanabe, Sneaker Freaker).   

IDYSM: While other brands have their ups and downs NB always seems to keep it’s cool.  How do they do that? 
Jade:  I think they've managed to keep their finger on the pulse, especially with lifestyle campaigns like this. Its refreshing to have a focus on real people that are doing things that people can relate to. 

IDYSM: What style/colour best suits you and why?

Jade:  I'm a 574 girl.  I like the shape of that the best. it's not too slim and not too platformed.  colour wise is a hard one.  depends on my mood and what i'm wearing on the day.  but i'll generally give anything a red hot go. 


IDYSM: Hey Michelle, how’s it going.  You are one multi-talented lady – tell us a bit about yourself.
Michelle: I’m good, how are you?! I grew up in the outer suburb of Dandenong and straight after high school I studied Fine Art photography at The Victorian College of the Arts with a degree in Masters. After uni I continued exhibiting but then made the decision to also give fashion photography a go – it was a pretty smooth transition. I love photography because I get to work with lots of different people and the challenge changes every day and keeps me stimulated. AND thank you for the kind words … photography isn’t my only talent - I’m really good at terrible karaoke, social drinking and Bruce Springsteen trivia.

IDYSM: You have an ongoing relationship with NB, tell us about that and what you love about the brand.
Michelle: In the past I’ve shot NB sneakers through the awesome guys and girls at Acclaim Magazine. I love NB sneakers because they remind me of my favorite car - the Defender. The shape is a classic that hasn’t changed - doesn’t need to change. Forever good looking. 
 


IDYSM: Nice to see the ladies getting some attention with this drop – who will the collection appeal to?
Michelle: I think the usual crowd of sneaker fans and street wear lovers are always loyal NB people, however I also think the new drop appeals to the fashionably minded more than ever, with a lot of women choosing to team NB with everyday looks, even with more polished looks! Fashion hasn’t always favoured comfort and with the case of NB sneakers it’s actually a style thing – the comfort is just a mega plus.

IDYSM: Lastly – it’s my staple question for a ‘In Their Shoes’ interview, what’s on your feet right now?
Michelle: 574s in a what I call ‘Kermit green’ – I just dyed my hair bright red however so I  might have to swap to classic navy instead so I don’t look like a walking Christmas decoration!



* Images courtesy of Charlie Brophy.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely ladies. Seems like they are living there dreams and having fun while doing it. The video was a huge plus! Love it!

    ReplyDelete